- Whereas, the ability to read and process information is a basic survival skill in our global information society; and
- Whereas, the reading proficiency of teens has remained stagnant over the last thirty years; and
- Whereas, the number of students who can read but choose not to do so is increasing; and
- Whereas, the most effective way to improve reading skills is to read regularly and often; and
- Whereas, too few teens think reading is a valuable tool for enjoyment and relaxation as well as for schoolwork; and
- Whereas, regular daily reading for the fun of it creates the reading habit for life; and
- Whereas, parents, teachers, librarians, and all concerned adults can serve as role models by reading for fun themselves;
- Therefore, be it resolved that I, Kristina Lareau (Bookseller, Future YA Librarian, Children's Lit Scholar) proclaim October 17-23, 2010, Teen Read Week(TM) in Boston, MA and encourage teens to read for the fun of it.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
TEEN READ WEEK!
Posted by Unknown